The evenings are finally getting cooler and yes, it IS about time! So a bowl of hot soup for dinner, or even a cup before dinner, is a good way to warm up your insides so you don’t have to raise the thermometer as much!
This soup can be made with or without the chicken; if you want it for a main course, the chicken (or after Thanksgiving, leftover turkey) will be perfect! If it’s a cup as an appetizer course, you might want to just leave it out.
Either way, this is soup – not chowder – and makes a perfect start for a meal of enchiladas or tacos or fajitas!
Or, pour some in a mug and sip it as you watch the game!
Tomatillo Soup with Chili and Chicken
- 6 cups regular strength chicken broth (bought or preferably homemade)
- 1 fresh jalapeno chili, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3/4 lb. fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed, cored and finely chopped
- 8 to 10 oz. cooked chicken or turkey, chopped, cubed or shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Tortilla chips, optional
In a 3-4 quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, add chicken broth, jalapeno and tomatillos. Stir and bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is heated through. Remove from heat and add lime juice and stir again.
Serve in small bowls or mugs. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.