I planned to give this to you for Cinco de Mayo – but you all know what happens to the best laid plans….
So use this for any pool party and don’t forget it for the 4th of July parties this weekend.
It’s easy and quick. A tip for serving – keep this hot and easy to dip or spoon out in your crock pot or fondue pot! That will keep the cheese soft and melty (if the temperature doesn’t) and keep a bowl of chips, and perhaps a plate of crackers, pita chips, and of course, veges that make a wonderful dipper for this cheesy fav. You and your guests will ask for ‘mas, por favor’!
Spicy Queso Blanco
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 small onion, divided (1/2 grated; 1/2 diced)
- 1 medium roasted poblano pepper, seeded, deveined, and minced, (divided)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cut into chunks
- 4 oz. white cheddar cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
Cut onion in half and mince one half. Set aside.
Warm oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2/3 of minced poblano and grate 1/2 onion into pan. Stir to coat and cook for 3-5 minutes until tender. Add cream and bring to a bubble. Add cheese a little at a time, stir until cheese is melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon cilantro.
To create a simple Pico de Gallo: Combine chopped onion, tomato, 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, and remaining poblano in a bowl.
Pour Queso Blanco into a medium size serving bowl (2 1/2 cup or larger). Top with Pico de Gallo. Serve and enjoy!