Now that spring has officially sprung, time to start thinking about grilling outdoors, even if it’s still a bit chilly and windy to eat outside. What? You have been grilling all winter? Well, that’s Southern California for you!
One of the things that’s so traditional with grilling, whether its burgers or hot dogs or steaks , or even carne asada (if you’re not making fajitas – or even if you are, now that I think about it), is a great coleslaw. Why not try one with a ‘south-of-the-border’ kick? It will work great with all that stuff – ribs too. Or, without the dressing, as the base for fish tacos!
I know I get tired of the sweet coleslaw, much as I love it over the vinegary kind, but this one is really good and you can get extra crunch and make it as hot as you want, or not; it’s up to you. And, you can make it even simpler by buying a bag of coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage (get both the green and the red) unless you really want to DIY!
What makes this different is the shredded or julienned jicama and a jalapeno or two to ‘kick it up a notch’ as Emeril would say. Top it off with some queso fresco to really give it that Mexican flair and paired with those fajitas – or tacos – or …. Hey just go for it!
South of the Border Coleslaw
- 1 c mayonnaise (if you can find the kind with lime juice that will work**)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (**if you do find this, use 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice instead)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. jicama peeled and julienned (thinly sliced into matches 1/8” x 1/8’ x 3” strips)
- 1 (or 2) jalapeno(s), seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seed, toasted
- 16 oz. coleslaw mix (or equivalent in your own blend)
- ½ c crumbled queso fresco (optional)
In a large bowl, combine mayo, lime juice, sugar, salt and black pepper and blend well. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and toss so that vegetables and cumin seeds are lightly coated with the dressing. Chill for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Sprinkle with cheese if using and serve immediately.