This is a casserole you will want to make over and over again! It’s quick and easy and can be varied; great for the family and pot lucks. Keep it in mind for Super Bowl Sunday as well (somebody will want “real food” at some point)!
This is made with an Alfredo Sauce, but you can make it with a Marinara, Arrabiatta, or even a Pizza sauce. You can even bake it a day ahead, cover and refrigerate then reheat it in the oven then top it and serve!
Italian Sausage Melt
- 1-1/4 c biscuit mix (such as Bisquick™)
- 1/4 c butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. very hot water
- 1/2 lb. bulk spicy Italian pork sausage *
- 1/4 c chopped green bell pepper
- 1 c Alfredo pasta sauce
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp. sliced fresh basil leaves
* If you are using sausage not bought in bulk, be sure to remove all casings before use.
Preheat oven to 400. Lightly spray bottom and sides of an 8″square glass baking dish or 2 qt. casserole.
In medium bowl, combine biscuit mix, butter and hot water until a soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom of baking dish.
In a 10″ skillet, cook sausage and bell pepper over medium-high heat 5 – 7 minutes until meat loses its pink color, stirring occasionally. Drain if necessary. Spread sausage mixture over crust. Spread sauce over sausage and sprinkle with mozzarella then Parmesan cheese. Bake 25 – 30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly around the edges and cheese is lightly browned. Sprinkle with halved tomatoes and basil leaves just before serving.