There’s nothing better on a cold, windy, wintry night than a bowl of hot soup filled with all kinds of good stuff. This one fits that bill perfectly.
Quinoa is a seed that is gluten free, high in fiber, and has a slightly nutty flavor. In this recipe it adds texture and a touch of thickening. Lots of hearty vegetables and a rotisserie chicken you can pick up on your way home, this soup can be on the table in no time at all.
Those pumpkin biscuits we told you about the other day could be warmed up to go nicely with this soup which is hearty enough to be the meal. Finish up with something decadent for dessert and relax!
Chicken and Quinoa Soup
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 c carrots, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 c yellow or brown onion, chopped
- 3/4 c celery, thinly sliced
- 1 14-1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes (no-salt-added, preferred), drained
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 10 c fat-free, chicken broth (low sodium, preferred)
- 3/4 c quinoa
- 6 oz. frozen peas
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, shredded into pieces
In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the scallions, carrots, onions, celery and drained tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in the black pepper, cilantro and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock. Add the quinoa and cook for 15 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and peas and cook for 5 minutes longer until the peas and chicken are heated through.