Bread sticks have become a fave from the time they first appeared. They are so versatile – and as easy to make as they are to say!
These are the ‘cheesiest’ you’ll ever find….with a double layer of cheese! You can use the same technique for sweet sticks by replacing the spices and cheese by brushing with honey butter and sprinkling with a blend of cinnamon, sugar and a few scrapings of nutmeg, or maybe just brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sugar and cover with sliced almonds!
Cheesy Bread Sticks
- 1 tube French bread, unbaked
- 1/4 c butter flavored oil *
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. yellow cornmeal
- 1 c Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
Preheat oven according to French bread package. Line baking sheet (unless non-stick coated) with parchment paper.
Combine oil, garlic salt and garlic powder, brush over the bread. Sprinkle cornmeal on top of the bread and then flip over. Be sure bread remains straight.
Put cheeses on top of the bread, sprinkle with 1/2 of the Parmesan, parsley, and remaining butter. Bake bread according to the package directions, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Allow cheese to set for a minute for extra Parmesan to melt. Cut bread width-wise into 1 inch slices. Serve with Marinara sauce for dipping or with a Caesar salad instead of croutons!
* If you can’t find “butter flavored oil” in your grocer’s oil section, you can use butter-flavored popcorn oil or, add 1/8 tsp. butter flavoring (normally used in baking) to salad oil.