TGIF – and another week has slipped away! Sometimes we get the urge for Taco night; open some ground beef or turkey, a can of tomato sauce and a bag of who-knows-what’s-in-this spice-mix! Yikes!
How about a little advance prep for TGIF Taco night….making a tasty sauce a few days or a week in advance, take it out, finish it off, lay out the fixings, and relax while everybody helps themselves. (And if you use paper plates, less clean up afterwards!) Try Tommy’s Tomatillo Tacos….and tell me what you think!
Tommy’s Tomatillo Tacos
- 8 oz. tomatillos, (5-6 medium) husked and rinsed
- 2 fresh Serrano chilies, or to taste, stemmed
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. salt (depending on saltiness of broth)
- 2 cups firmly packed sliced baby spinach ( cut about 1/2″ x 2″ long)
- 1-1/3 coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco
- 2-3 tomatoes, cut in 8ths
- 12 warm corn tortillas (plus a few extra in case some break)
Roast tomatillos and chilies on rimmed baking sheet 4″ below a very hot broiler until blackened and soft on one side, about 5-6 minutes. Turn and roast on other side, 3-4 minutes. Transfer with all juices to a food processor or blender and set aside. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 1 minutes, stirring frequently until deep golden about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Scrape all into food processor and process to medium-coarse puree.
Heat 1/2 Tbsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add puree and stir for about 5 minutes until noticeably darker and thick. Stir in broth, partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10minutes. The sauce will be a little soupy. You can make ahead to this point, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
When ready to serve, bring sauce to a boil, add cilantro and spinach and simmer until greens are done. Taste and season with additional salt if needed. Heat chicken if desired or serve at room temperature.
Put sauce in a bowl along side of bowls of Queso Fresco, tomatoes, guacamole, warm tortillas, and let everyone help themselves!