Cheese and cauliflower or broccoli — a marriage made in heaven! This casserole is SO simple to make and can be made a day or 2 ahead. I make it with all cauliflower, all broccoli or both. My vegetarian friends prepare it as an entrée. Serve it with beef, chicken, pork….well, just about anything. This is something even the kids will love!
Cauliflower & Cheese Casserole
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 – 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Colby or combination)
- 1/16 tsp. paprika
- 3-4 drops Tabasco (or more, to taste; any flavor)
- 1/2 head cauliflower – approx. 4 cups (frozen is fine), coarsely chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. shredded cheddar or Colby
- 1 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
Spray an 11” x 8″ casserole with non-stick cooking spray. In small saucepan, sauté onions and seasoning salt in butter until just soft and beginning to become golden. Set aside to cool.
Combine next 5 ingredients until well blended (may look curdled); stir in cauliflower and top with onions (or mix in). Pour into casserole. Bake in preheated 350 oven approx. 35 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly.
Can be made in advance and covered and refrigerated. It may take a little longer to bake.